October 25, 2020
 

Welcome to St. William Laud Episcopal Church 

 

 

Study Group

The Study Group normally meets on Sunday mornings at 10:45 after the coffee hour fellowship - suspended during Covid-19.

 


Worship Times

Regular Sunday Eucharist - 9:00 A.M.  

 

Our Parish Community

We are a welcoming congregation. We welcome and seek diversity. 

 

 

Loaves & Fishes

The SWL food pantry continues to minister to the citizens of Camp County! What a great ministry. Thanks to all the volunteers who help in that effort. We couldn't do it without you! If you would like to donate contact SWL at 903-856-2675. Loaves and Fishes takes place the third and fourth Wednesday of every month at 9:30 AM outside the Parish Hall on the sidewalk.

 

Upcoming Dates to REMEMBER!

 


 

Members Login



Last month October 2020 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 40 1 2 3
week 41 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
week 42 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
week 43 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
week 44 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Church History

 


In 1954 the Reverend George Acker, who was serving mission congregations in the East Texas area, collaborated with four families to found a mission church in Pittsburg. In that same year it was established as a mission church within the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas. Father Acker eventually moved to Pittsburg to oversee the growth of the church. He instilled a strong anglo-catholic spirit that continues to the present.
The mission had steady growth under several outstanding priests. The Reverend Theodore Heers guided the church through two periods, the first from July, 1962 to May, 1967 and the second from January of 1970 to August of 1978. The church became a Parish in May of 1968. St. William Laud was blessed to have a wonderful theologian, The Reverend E. E. Blankenship, serve as rector from January of 1982 to January of 1989.
The original church was constructed in 1957 and additional space was added as needed. The home next to the church became available and was acquired as a rectory. When it has not been occupied by the rector it has often been rented to provide additional cash flow.
The real story of this church has been the love and fellowship of her people. While buildings and improvements might be the outward signs of success, it is the quality of our people that sustains us over the years. Many people have questioned how it is possible for a community the size of Pittsburg to sustain an Episcopal parish church. It happened because God called into fellowship a group of people who have responded to the Holy Spirit and built itself up in love. Since the first meetings of that small mission community, St. William Laud has been characterized by the “can-do” spirit of the membership and a strong sense of their catholic heritage while working for the common good to the greater glory of God.

 


xbxx javprice.com